During the week, it is hard to make time for baking since my evenings are taken up with working out, making dinner and spending quality time with my husband watching Mad Men. Don't be surprised - I am usually a few years behind when it comes to watching new-to-me TV shows.
The lightbulb came on, figuratively speaking and I knew breakfast had to be made in less than 30 minutes so that we could make it to church on time. Because if you need to know anything about my husband, it's that he hates being late and I am usually the culprit.
Vegan Carrot Muffins
makes 12 muffins
time: 30 minutes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 cups shredded carrots
2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal plus 6 tbsp water
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients until combined. Set aside.
3. Measure out the flaxseed meal into a small bowl (I used a 4 oz. ramekin) and add the water. Let sit for at least 5 minutes.
4. Shred about 5-6 medium size carrots, enough to yield 2 cups.
5. Using a hand mixer, cream together the oil, maple syrup, and flax "eggs". Add in the vanilla extract and shredded carrots. Mix until just combined.
6. Add the dry mix slowly to the wet mix and mix with a spoon or fork. You don't want to overbeat the batter so at this point you might want to stop using the hand mixer.
7. Line a muffin pan with liners and lightly spray liners with canola oil (or other nonstick spray). Pour batter into liners, filling them about 2/3 of the way - it will be thick but don't worry, it will bake up nicely.
8. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.