My sister-in-law recently told me she did not like watermelon. My aim was to immediately find a
Enter: Watermelon Happiness, as my husband aptly named this drink. Needless to say, my sis-in-law quickly pronounced she now likes watermelon, so long as I always make this drink. I might be exaggerating that last part a bit. :)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
5 pounds seedless watermelon
2 cups simple syrup
2 cups club soda
1 cup Bacardi rum
4 cups fresh mint leaves
6 whole limes
1. Cut the watermelon into quarters and then into smaller cubes. Blend in food processor. Depending on the size of your processor, you may need to work in batches.
2. After all the watermelon has been pureed, pour it through a medium mesh strainer. This is to separate the pulp from the actual watermelon juice.
3. Make the simple syrup: Combine 2 cups water and 2 cups sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until all the sugar dissolves. Take off heat, add in mint leaves and cover tightly for 30 minutes. Let cool completely.
4. Juice 4 limes and pour into the watermelon juice mix. Stir.
5. Combined the simple syrup (complete with mint leaves) into the watermelon juice.
6. Add club soda and rum.
7. If necessary, taste and adjust for more rum, mint, lime juice, etc.
8. Serve in tall glasses with ice and garnish with lime wedges and mint. Enjoy!
Note: If you want to leave out the rum, by all means do so - it will still be delicious!
Make it this weekend. You won't regret it one bit.